Tuesday, January 03, 2006

The Least of Our Brethren

Denise, one of my co-workers, and her partner have recently become foster parents in New Jersey. They have enthusiastically opened their arms, their home and their pocketbooks to a series of profoundly disadvantaged and ill infants.

Many of our colleagues have taken an interest, and since we work in a children's book company, it's been easy and fun to be on the lookout for freebies to bestow upon her.

When I got back from Christmas vacation yesterday, Denise told me about their new charge, a drug addicted infant whose mother is unable to care for her. Denise's eyes glowed with joy as she told me, beaming, how much more wonderful Christmas was when they had a little one to share it with.

Her generosity, selflessnness, open mind and kind heart leave me speechless with admiration. I'm so grateful that someone like Denise is providing safety and affection (however briefly) to these poor children, against whom the deck is stacked so drastically.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home