Tuesday, March 07, 2006

It's Contagious!

My son Connor has been very interested in, and impressed by, the fact that I started this site. "My mom has a whole WEBSITE about good deeds," he proudly told a fellow passenger on our plane to Cancun. I had volunteered to change our seats so that the guy's family could all sit together.

Yesterday, two good deeds happened that relate to my son.

First of all, my dear friend and co-blogger Andrea comes into Manhattan every single Monday to pick up my son after school and take him to his "talking doctor" appointment. Connor loves going to see Peter, his doctor, and he especially loves spending a little time with Andrea, who is one of the world's most delightful, charming, wise, kindhearted, intelligent, and funny people. The two of them send each other hilarious text messages about stinky farts. They love each other and enjoy each other's company tremendously.

Anyway every Monday, without fail, my darling friend Andrea makes sure Connor reaches his doctor's office, saving me an incredible weekly hassle; and she does it with such joy and enthusiasm that it's impossible for me to feel bad about it.

So that is good deed number one - my favorite kind - not really dramatic, just an ordinary, week in, week out, reliably kind act that is very meaningful to me and my little boy. It might seem small, but it isn't. Thank you, my friend!

Yesterday, Andrea picked Connor up at school as usual and they bought a snack at a hot dog vendor. Suddenly they noticed a pair of gloves on the sidewalk. Connor pointed them out and a woman sitting nearby said, "That man dropped them!" - pointing at a man who was pulling out from the curb in his car. Connor ran to the car shouting "Sir! Sir!" The man stopped and Connor handed his gloves to him through the car window.

"That's GREAT!" I exclaimed when he told me about it. "Yes!" he said smugly. "And then Andrea and I had a High Five!"

Then he looked up at me with his winsome little grin and said "Will you put me on your web site, Mom?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home