Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Brian's Big 5-0

Since I started this site I've mostly been posting about strangers doing nice things for other strangers. But something happened last weekend that reminded me of how goodness surrounds me every day, in my most intimate friendships. How fortunate I am to exist in this environment of kindness, generosity, and loving actions!

My dear friend Brian, whose daily service to others will be immortalized by me in another post very soon, had a birthday last weekend. He wasn't very happy about turning 50, in fact was feeling quite morose and glum, so his wife Rebecca sneakily organized the most BRILLIANT surprise party for him. She invited a billion people and everyone who could come, did come, wreathed in smiles, bearing gifts and good will. Our friend Andy watched the kids in the afternoon so that Rebecca and I could dash about to the grocery store and run errands... Shelby came over to help Rebecca slice, dice, and get ready... and dozens of Brian's friends from every era of his life showed up to celebrate his birth. Many of them drove long distances to be there. Everyone proceeded to have a fabulous time - especially Brian - and especially Rebecca.

I think what I will always remember most about this party is the pure love and joy coming off Rebecca throughout the evening. She was simply incandescent. She was obviously pleased to successfully pull off such a spectacular bash, and delighted to be with all the great people who attended - but most importantly, she was rejoicing in being able to give this amazing gift of laughter and loving company to her dear husband. Her eyes were just shining, and she was laughing and smiling and beaming at everyone and especially at him. It was really beautiful to see the abiding love between them, exposed for all to see. (Getting all misty writing this... imagine that!)

I've been lucky enough to be close to this family for the last three years of my life, and it has been and continues to be a huge privilege to know them. Thank you for including me in your lives, dear ones. I love you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home