Friday, May 26, 2006

Kitty on the Tracks!!! Oh No!


Don't panic, it's just a stuffed animal - but one that is very precious to my 10 year old son. He's one of those little Beanie Baby type tigers, very worn and shabby from years of peeking out of pockets and backpacks and being taken to the park. He's one of Connor's very special toys.

In other words, Kitty is "real" from a Velveteen Rabbit point of view.

A couple of days ago Connor took Kitty to school and lost him. He was dejected about it but I encouraged him to ask around and look in the lost and found.

Last night, Fernando offered to pick Connor up from school and take care of him so that I could go wedding invitation shopping with Amye. I got home after Connor was asleep and basically Fernando and I went straight to bed without much conversation.

This morning, I had the following conversation on the way to school with my son. Keep in mind that while Fernando is a complete prince, he especially dislikes crowds, heat and stuffiness, waiting in lines, and (thus) taking the subway during rush hour. He is normally the soul of patience and tolerance but these things just make him cranky and irritated and you can just FEEL the slow burn happening. He needs fresh air and space like most people need oxygen or water.

C: Mommy, guess what?
J: What?
C: I found my kitty yesterday!
J: Oh honey! that's great!
C: And then I dropped him on the train tracks on the way home.
J: Oh no! Really?
C: Yes, but then the subway men came and picked him up for me with a long stick.
J: Wow! that was nice of them.
C: Yes, but it took a really long time. Like an HOUR. We waited forever. I guess they were busy doing other subway stuff.
J: (picturing the scene) Oh boy.
C: And Fernando said that if I ever dropped the kitty on the tracks again, we would just leave it there.
J: (giggling)
J: Ahem. Was Fernando mad?
C: Nah. He was really annoyed though.
J: I'll bet.
C: And you know how I said my kitty needed a bath? Now he REALLY needs a bath.
J: (realizing) EW!!

I just sent Fernando an email to report this conversation and here is his reply, which made me absolutely crack up and get all misty at the same time:

Oh, you should have seen Connor's face as he stepped out of the train and realized his kitty had fallen through the gap. He was heartbroken and the tears flowed. Oh boy. I felt like there was no option but to take a seat and wait for the subway guys. Luckily we both had books.

I don't think he'll drop kitty again.

And oh, yeah, kitty was sleeping with the rats. And what did Connor do as soon as kitty was back in his hands? Yup, held him up to his mouth and gave him a big kiss. YUM! He did it so fast I couldn't stop him.


LOL!

Good deed #1 - my fiance takes such good care of my son, physically and emotionally. When I realize it afresh I am just stunned with joy. They really love each other. He has made such a HUGE difference in our lives. I'm so grateful.

Good deed #2 - thank you "subway men with the long stick!" I'm sure you did have other "subway stuff" to do, but how kind of you to rescue my son's little stuffed buddy.

And is giving someone a belly laugh a good deed? I think so. So thanks to both Connor AND Fernando for that. What a riot! I'm STILL giggling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home